Barangay Santa Maria
History of Barangay Sta. Maira
Barangay Sta.Maria was named under its Patron Saint Maria Magdalena under the care of the prominent person Alejandrino Angeles. Originally, the Barangay proper has only 2 households, Sitio Libutad has 19 and Sitio cuatro has 4.
Before the war in 1930, there was no designated Barangay Captain. The town official only communicated directly to the landlords.
After the 2nd world war in 1941, there was appointed official called “TINYENTE DEL BARYO” and he was appointed by the Town Mayor. Tinyente del Baryo is the head of the Barangay that time and no other official aside from himself.
When the Barangay Code was administrated, the Barangay Officials are now elected which is the Barangay Captain and 5 members of the council and he will get or appoint Secretary and Treasurer.
1st Tinyente Del Baryo was Mr.Ananyas Galang. Next to him who was appointed was Mr.Licup.
In addition, Mr.Elpidio Sarmiento was appointed by the people in Sta.Maria in year 1986 – 1989 during the time a problem in the local government.
There was no Barangay Hall at that time. Meetings were held to different household. Later on, meeting was moved to the chapel, Sta.Maria Magdalena Chapel. During the time of Hon. Bienvenido Manalo, he was able to start and built a small barangay hall at Sitio Libutad. From then, meeting was moved from chapel to the Barangay Hall. After the small barangay hall, a newly and developed barangay hall was built under the time of Hon.Cesar G. Manalo and roads were also concreted. Until present, the said newly developed Barangay Hall still exist in which election been held.
Means of livelihood that time was 98% agriculture and 2% laborer. But in today’s generation, it is 40% agriculture and 60% laborer.
Mission & Vision
We envision being a God fearing, United and peaceful citizen with progressive, agriculture and environment friendly under good governance officials.